How to apply for Stripe Connect review
If you create a new Stripe Platform, Stripe most likely will ask to review it. Here are details about the requirements and process.
Table of Contents
- How to apply for Connect review at Stripe
- 1. Intro with some explanations about the process
- 2. Which of these categories best matches the kind of products or services you plan to sell?
- 3. Tell us more about your platform's product or services, <br/>Tell us about the sellers, services providers, or contractors your platform plans to manage payments and payouts for.
- 4. Questions about your customers
- 5. Review your answers and send them.
Starting from February 2019, Stripe started to review all new Connect Platforms. They don't seem to review all of them, and they haven't shared how they select which one to review, but it might happen. They've said that this is because of recent regulations. You'll have to provide some details about your business and Stripe promise they will review and enable your Stripe Platform within one business day.
You should first follow the regular instructions to setup Stripe in your Sharetribe marketplace. When enabling Stripe Connect and registering your Platform, you may be prompted with some additional questions. Here they are.
Note that there may be some variations based on your country or industry. Stripe advise to contact their support team however their reply rate and quality hasn't been top notch, so let us know if you face any issue, we'll be here to help.
You can reply easily: there is no character limit and no need for attachments.
3. Tell us more about your platform's product or services,
Tell us about the sellers, services providers, or contractors your platform plans to manage payments and payouts for.
You can mention that your marketplace website is running on Sharetribe Flex.
Where will end customers pay for your products or services?
Select "On the platform’s website, app, or store".
Whose name will appear on a customer's card or bank statement?
Select "Only the platform's".
Who is the best contact for customer in case of a dispute or complaint?
Select "The platform".
Stripe promise they will approve your account within one business day and you'll be able to run online payments in your Sharetribe marketplace!
Stripe claims that they will review things within one business day. If that takes any longer, you should:
- check your emails to make sure that Stripe didn't ask for more details. Don't forget to check your spam folder!
- contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or via the chat widget in your admin panel, and share your Stripe account email and date you've applied. We'll be happy to contact our Stripe priority support line to move things forward faster!
This verification process is a requirement at Stripe, following recent regulation changes (for example, in the US, the Financial Crimes Enforcement Network (FinCEN) Customer Due Diligence (CDD) rule requires the collection of information on companies’ ownership and management when opening certain types of accounts with financial services companies).
This is also after some updates to the own Stripe policies. New data requirements represent an evolution of Stripe’s policies. These policies are based on Stripe's experience (including Connect Platforms and marketplaces).